South African locals help foreigners escape xenophobic attacks

South African locals help foreigners escape xenophobic attacks
Published: 2015 April 15 07:57:45 (9482 Views)
Residents in South African township KwaMancinza helped Somalis pack their belongings and escape attacks and killing after foreigners' shops were burned in KwaMashu on Sunday night.

Cops watched as they packed in fear after the KwaMashu attacks and the locals said they were against attacks on foreigners who had been living among them.

Shop worker Shangaziphi Nxumalo (35) said she was unhappy that the foreigners were leaving.

"These people gave me a job and I could put food on the table for my family," said Shangaziphi. She worked for them for six months.

The Somalis said they had to leave for their safety. Shop owner Hassan Adan (28) said he had lived peacefully at KwaMancinza, but feared the brutal attacks now taking place.

"My brothers and I have been running this shop for a year. We have never experienced attacks. We will really miss these people," he said.

"We gave them cold drinks because they have been good to us. They helped us pack our things in the truck."



He said they are not sure where they will live now but it will be around Durban's CBD.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe's outspoken information minister, Jonathan Moyo, hit out at the xenophobic attacks in South Africa, warning that xenophobia could "easily mutate" into genocide.

"King [Goodwill] Zwelithini must extinguish what he ignited. Xenophobia is a crime against humanity," Moyo tweeted in one of the first public reactions from a Zimbabwe government official.

"Xenophobia today can easily mutate into genocide tomorrow. Stop It," Moyo said, using the hashtag #AfrophobiainSAMustEnd.

South Africa is home to at least one million Zimbabweans, many of them illegal residents.

Moyo also hit back at ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe's criticism of President Robert Mugabe's treatment of whites, saying Zimbabwe did not agree with the ANC's view on blacks.

There have been calls on Zimbabwean social media for locals to boycott a show by Durban-based group Big Nuz in protest against the xenophobic violence.

The group is due to perform in Bulawayo on Friday but there are criticisms of the calls for the boycott.



Source - Metro

 1

You May Like These Videos

Comments

| Comment With Facebook Submit