Selfie addict tried to ill himself when he couldn't take perfect photo

Selfie addict tried to ill himself when he couldn't take perfect photo
Published: 2014 March 23 14:32:59 (10651 Views)
19-year-old Danny Bowman became so obsessed with taking the perfect selfie he tried to kill himself when he failed to do it.

He spent 10 hours a day taking up to 200 snaps of himself on his iPhone.

He dropped out of school, didn't leave his house in six months, lost two stone trying to make himself look better for the camera and became aggressive with his parents when they tried to stop him.

Finally, in a drastic attempt to escape his obsession, Danny took an overdose – but was saved by his mum Penny.

Now Danny, believed to be Britain's first selfie addict, has had intensive hospital therapy to treat his technology addiction, OCD and Body Dysmorphic Disorder – an excessive anxiety about personal appearance.

Danny says: "I was constantly in search of taking the perfect selfie and when I realised I couldn't I wanted to die. I lost my friends, my education, my health and almost my life."

But Danny is not some bizarre one-off case in a world where smartphone and social media obsession is spiralling upwards.

The top psychiatrist at the clinic where Danny was treated revealed addiction to taking selfies is becoming so widespread it is now is a recognised mental illness.

"Danny's case is particularly extreme," said Dr David Veal who's clinic has weaned the teen off his iPhone.

"But this is a serious problem. It's not a vanity issue. It's a mental health one which has an extremely high suicide rate."

The selfie craze has swept social media over the past five years, with stars, ­politicians and even Pope Francis posting shots online.

Last year, the Oxford English Dictionary named it word of the year after research showed its frequency of use had soared 17,000 per cent in 12 months.

Danny first posted selfies on Facebook when he was 15.

He says: "People would comment on them, but children can be cruel. One told me my nose was too big for my face and another picked on my skin. I started taking more and more to try to get the approval of my friends.

"I would be so high when someone wrote something nice but gutted when they wrote something unkind."

His ambition was to be a male model, but a casting session at an agency in 2011 sent him and his selfie-taking into turmoil.

Danny recalls: "They told me that my body was the wrong shape to be a model and that my skin wasn't up to scratch. I was mortified.

"When I got home that night I stood in front of the mirror and took a photo of myself. I didn't like it so I took another. Then before I knew it I had taken about 30, discarding each one."

It was the beginning of his two-year addiction. Within a fortnight he was taking up to 80 selfies before he even left the house for school.

He says: "My alarm went off and I would take 10 pictures before I had washed. Then I would take another 10 after showering and another 10 after moisturising.

"I swiped through them on my phone. I would change the lighting and take another 10, or go into another room and take another 20.

"Then I would spend hours looking at them, scrutinising my features and skin. I took selfies in bed, in the bathroom, and all day into the early hours.

"I would pore over pictures of my idol, Leonardo DiCaprio, and then take selfies in different poses, trying to look like him. But I felt so ugly."

Soon, Danny started sneaking out of lessons three times an hour to take pictures in the toilet.

Danny Bowman seen here in one of the many selfies he took of himself Pose: He searched for perfect look

He says: "I would become really anxious and need to know what I looked like. I'd take pictures in the toilets mirror then lock myself in a cubicle to look at them until a teacher came to find me.

"I'd never been in trouble in my life but suddenly I found myself in the ­headmaster's office every day. Taking selfies was making me late for school all the time."

Danny dropped out of school at 16 so he could stay at home indulging his addiction. And he was desperately losing weight in search of the perfect snap.

He says: "I would limit myself to an apple and a bowl of couscous a day in a bid to be thinner and improve my skin. I had dropped from 9 stone to 7 stone but I still saw an overweight monster in the pictures."

His worried parents Robert and Penny – who are both mental health nurses – tried to confiscate his phone. All it did was make their usually placid boy aggressive.

But no matter how many shots he took, Danny never liked any of them. And after a heavy selfie-binge in December 2012 he took an overdose at his home in Newcastle upon Tyne.

"I'd taken over 200 pictures that day and looked at them over and over," he says. "I couldn't see any that I liked. I couldn't take any more and just started popping the pills."

Luckily Penny found him and he was rushed to hospital.

Danny says: "I woke feeling groggy, in pain, with my parents devastated at what I had done. All I could think about was what I would look like in my next picture. I needed help."

He was referred to London's Maudsley Hospital. Danny says: "At first they would take my phone from me for 10 minutes, then half an hour, then an hour.

"It was excruciating to begin with but I knew I had to do it if I wanted to go on living.

"They made me scruff up my hair and walk down the street without my phone and no way to see what I looked like. Gradually I realised everyone wasn't looking at me. I didn't need to check my appearance the whole time."

Selfie addiction is so new there are, as yet, no statistics on it.

But expert Dr Veal says: "The common treatment is where a patient gradually learns to go for longer periods of time without satisfying the urge to take a photograph, along with therapy to address the root cause of the problem.

"This can be anything from low self esteem to problems with bullying in the past."

Danny's relieved dad Robert says: "It was the most difficult time of our lives to see Dan go through this illness.

"We are both qualified mental health nurses and this was always our worst nightmare. There is a huge lack of understanding about the dangers social networking and mobile technology can pose if a young person already has any insecurities – which most do.

"It's important parents are aware of the dangers and keep a close eye on their children's behaviour and seek help if they feel it is needed."

Now Danny has not taken a selfie for seven months.

He says: "It sounds trivial and harmless but that's the very thing that makes it so dangerous. It almost took my life, but I survived and I am determined never to get into that position again."

- Danny is now working with charity Fixers to raise awareness of mentalhealth issues in young people. Visit http://www.fixers.org.uk/ for more information.

Source - Mirror

Tags: selfie, addiction,

You May Like These Videos

Comments

| Comment With Facebook Submit

There are no comments.

News Big Reads

Bird Box finally unveils unknown monsters

by Metro | 2019 January 06 00:20:32 | 7856 Views

Man in critical condition after 'blowing himself up while trying to raid ATM'

by June Mpofu | 2018 December 11 19:39:39 | 17334 Views

Murder suspect pretending to be mute loses voice from underuse

by June Mpofu | 2018 December 11 19:39:46 | 13553 Views

Harrods accidentally sold £1,000 bags for less than £10

by June Mpofu | 2017 December 16 15:42:54 | 13346 Views

Rapper 'whips out' manhood on Instagram

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 31 08:36:03 | 15002 Views

Woman raped in the street as people walk past

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 27 22:04:42 | 15573 Views

Student who inhaled 360 laughing gas canisters in a week may never walk again

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 20 08:05:52 | 15366 Views

Poet tweets that she was raped by SA musician

by Hope Freedom | 2017 October 07 23:02:51 | 15906 Views

Dog bites off chunk of woman's face

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 23 09:04:56 | 14843 Views

Man jailed after tricking children into abusing young relatives

by Prince Cox | 2017 September 06 08:00:14 | 16166 Views

'I gave lift to a ghost' says taxi driver

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 04 18:39:39 | 31615 Views

Son 'stabbed mum to death and ate her heart with a side of chutney'

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 01 20:10:25 | 16793 Views

'Cannibal tired of eating human flesh' hands himself in

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 24 07:59:37 | 15141 Views

Man cut off pregnant girlfriend's nipples with a pair of scissors

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 20 10:24:38 | 16488 Views

Pregnant woman murdered in 'satanic ritual'

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 20 01:27:16 | 17398 Views

No diplomatic immunity for Grace Mugabe after 'splitting open model's head'

by Hope Freedom | 2017 August 15 08:30:38 | 20369 Views

8-year-old dies after cousin dares her to drink boiling water through straw

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 05 10:10:31 | 17181 Views

Girl, 14, was raped twice in one night by different men

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 29 17:06:36 | 16646 Views

Girl, 10, told she can't have abortion after being raped by uncle

by Hope Freedom | 2017 July 22 16:54:59 | 17191 Views

Obsessive woman chases police car helping boyfriend escape her

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 15 21:27:10 | 13964 Views

Man hijacked while peeing

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 08 10:46:55 | 20443 Views

Disabled woman tied to tractor and beaten to death by mob

by Hope Freedom | 2017 July 03 23:10:47 | 21364 Views

Man spends 5 years renovating boat, it sinks as soon as it goes on water

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 30 22:42:43 | 14004 Views

Woman paralysed after having sex

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 26 21:03:25 | 16597 Views

Woman cuts off boyfriend's privates 'after he refused to marry her'

by Prince Cox | 2017 June 24 20:36:31 | 21302 Views

Cancer patient charged with plotting to kill doctors

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 08 09:57:59 | 14929 Views

Former Premier League star dies after collapsing in training

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 05 18:08:44 | 21394 Views

Mugabe 'will decide who goes to heaven' says Zanu-PF youth leader

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 03 09:04:32 | 15144 Views

Daughter had sex with father to stop him from marrying fiancee

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 01 17:52:29 | 16348 Views

Man splits from wife who raped him as boy

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 31 11:53:24 | 18629 Views

Human head trial set to go ahead after delay

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 30 21:23:34 | 14965 Views

American girl, 11, forced to marry rapist

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 29 14:28:03 | 17023 Views

Fed up residents hold Mayor hostage

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 25 08:51:43 | 15786 Views

Homeless hero who pulled nails out of children's faces is given a home

by Prince Cox | 2017 May 24 20:11:55 | 16598 Views

Heartbroken wife dies after husband's mistress sent her indecent pictures

by Prince Cox | 2017 May 22 08:35:57 | 37104 Views

Father jailed after raping daughter for 20 years

by Hope Freedom | 2017 May 20 09:51:11 | 18520 Views

Driver miraculously unharmed after lorry completely crushes his BMW

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 20 09:59:37 | 14780 Views

Saddam Hussain arrested for pretending to be Osama Bin Laden

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 16 23:42:36 | 14314 Views

Student left with painful scars after tattoo removal goes wrong

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 15 20:45:37 | 18030 Views

Three people die of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 12 15:31:35 | 15149 Views

'Shoplifter' bleeds to death after falling on 'stolen' bottles

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 09 21:49:08 | 18259 Views

82 Chibok schoolgirls freed by Boko Haram

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 07 09:19:48 | 35802 Views

Woman arrested after biting love rival's privates

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 06 19:03:59 | 14506 Views