Woman forced to carry dead foetus for two days

Woman forced to carry dead foetus for two days
Published: 2013 October 13 21:22:55 (8894 Views)
An Indian woman in the UK was forced to carry a dead foetus in her womb for two days after doctors at the hospital ignored signs of its death and sent her back home.

Niranjana Kumaresan, a 33-year-old woman hailing from Chennai, filed a complaint with UK's National Health Service (NHS) alleging that doctors and staff at Barnet and Chase Farm hospital in north London ignored her plea for help even after she repeatedly told them she had stopped feeling the baby's movement and doctors themselves confirmed the baby's heart beats were not detected.

"I first felt the baby had become still on September 18, three days after my due date.

The previous day I felt my water had broken and reported to the hospital with intense pain.

The midwife examined the baby's heart and felt its head position before sending me back home," Niranjana told TOI over phone from their house in Middlesex.

Doctors say considering Niranjana's foetus was in oblique position and she underwent a caesarean for her first child, the delay risked not just the baby's life, but the mother's as well.

"When a patient with history of C-section with oblique transverse lie comes with pain, show and leak, an emergency C-section should be done to save the baby and the mother," said noted obstetrician-gynaecologist Dr Kamala Selvaraj.

When Niranjana reported she couldn't feel the baby's movement, doctors allegedly tried to allay her fears saying it was because of the fever she had overnight.

"She was advised to take a paracetamol without any examination," said Niranjana's husband Karthikeyan Kumaresan, a software engineer.

Twelve hours later the couple called for the antenatal team which found traces of blood in her urine.

"We were moved to a ward, but Niranjana wasn't examined until three hours later," said Karthikeyan, who along with Niranjana moved to the UK from Chennai six years ago.

The midwife who came to examine Niranjana couldn't detect the baby's heart beat with the hospital's mobile scan and the couple were asked to return the next morning.

"We were so hassled and upset by then. They so casually asked us to return the next day even after realising the baby's heart beat was missing. They tried downplaying our fear stating that the scan had probably stopped working which is why it failed to pick up the heart beat," said Niranjana, who has a 6-year-old daughter.

On September 19, by which time Niranjana was overdue by four days, she was moved to the delivery room.

"I was in a lot of pain by then. But even then, the staff kept saying I wasn't ready as yet. When I went to the washroom the next day to relieve myself, I saw the baby's head. I quickly alerted my husband, who in turn rushed in the staff," said Niranjana. The stillborn baby was delivered.

According to Karthikeyan, the baby's head was squashed and broken. "When I asked the staff, I was told that the head usually becomes like that when babies die in the womb," he said.

Struggling to come to terms with her baby's death, Niranjana realised her ordeal was far from over.

"After my delivery when my husband was in the room I wanted to go to the toilet and called for help. The midwife told me I had to help myself. I was bleeding. When I came back from the toilet I found the midwife had gone. I couldn't return to the bed, barely managing to stand on my own and I had blood around me," she said.

The couple to their shock also discovered later that the baby's post-mortem was done four days after it was delivered.

"When I inquired I was told that the delay was because the body can only be moved by an undertaker and they couldn't arrange for one immediately," said Karthikeyan.

On September 24, the couple approached the metropolitan police and lodged a complaint and simultaneously filed a complaint with the NHS.

While the hospital administration wasn't available for comment, NHS acknowledged they had received the complaint.

"We are looking into the complaint," said Alex Greenwood who is the facilitator between the couple and the national body. "Senior members of the staff will be involved in investigating the complaint," said Alex, who is part of patient advice and liaison service, a NHS body created to provide advise and support to NHS patients.

For Niranjana, it will take sometime before she musters the courage to step into a hospital again.

"The story of my pregnancy has been marred with horror episodes of lack of proper care. My trust on midwives is completely shaken and I have doubts on the level of skills possessed to handle situations that are not quite the usual and need intervention. I may never bring myself to step into the hospital again," Niranjana said in her complaint.

Source - TOI

You May Like These Videos

Comments

| Comment With Facebook Submit

There are no comments.

News Big Reads

Bird Box finally unveils unknown monsters

by Metro | 2019 January 06 00:20:32 | 7856 Views

Man in critical condition after 'blowing himself up while trying to raid ATM'

by June Mpofu | 2018 December 11 19:39:39 | 17334 Views

Murder suspect pretending to be mute loses voice from underuse

by June Mpofu | 2018 December 11 19:39:46 | 13553 Views

Harrods accidentally sold £1,000 bags for less than £10

by June Mpofu | 2017 December 16 15:42:54 | 13346 Views

Rapper 'whips out' manhood on Instagram

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 31 08:36:03 | 15002 Views

Woman raped in the street as people walk past

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 27 22:04:42 | 15573 Views

Student who inhaled 360 laughing gas canisters in a week may never walk again

by June Mpofu | 2017 October 20 08:05:52 | 15366 Views

Poet tweets that she was raped by SA musician

by Hope Freedom | 2017 October 07 23:02:51 | 15906 Views

Dog bites off chunk of woman's face

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 23 09:04:56 | 14844 Views

Man jailed after tricking children into abusing young relatives

by Prince Cox | 2017 September 06 08:00:14 | 16166 Views

'I gave lift to a ghost' says taxi driver

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 04 18:39:39 | 31615 Views

Son 'stabbed mum to death and ate her heart with a side of chutney'

by June Mpofu | 2017 September 01 20:10:25 | 16793 Views

'Cannibal tired of eating human flesh' hands himself in

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 24 07:59:37 | 15141 Views

Man cut off pregnant girlfriend's nipples with a pair of scissors

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 20 10:24:38 | 16488 Views

Pregnant woman murdered in 'satanic ritual'

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 20 01:27:16 | 17398 Views

No diplomatic immunity for Grace Mugabe after 'splitting open model's head'

by Hope Freedom | 2017 August 15 08:30:38 | 20369 Views

8-year-old dies after cousin dares her to drink boiling water through straw

by June Mpofu | 2017 August 05 10:10:31 | 17181 Views

Girl, 14, was raped twice in one night by different men

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 29 17:06:36 | 16646 Views

Girl, 10, told she can't have abortion after being raped by uncle

by Hope Freedom | 2017 July 22 16:54:59 | 17191 Views

Obsessive woman chases police car helping boyfriend escape her

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 15 21:27:10 | 13966 Views

Man hijacked while peeing

by June Mpofu | 2017 July 08 10:46:55 | 20444 Views

Disabled woman tied to tractor and beaten to death by mob

by Hope Freedom | 2017 July 03 23:10:47 | 21365 Views

Man spends 5 years renovating boat, it sinks as soon as it goes on water

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 30 22:42:43 | 14005 Views

Woman paralysed after having sex

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 26 21:03:25 | 16597 Views

Woman cuts off boyfriend's privates 'after he refused to marry her'

by Prince Cox | 2017 June 24 20:36:31 | 21303 Views

Cancer patient charged with plotting to kill doctors

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 08 09:57:59 | 14929 Views

Former Premier League star dies after collapsing in training

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 05 18:08:44 | 21394 Views

Mugabe 'will decide who goes to heaven' says Zanu-PF youth leader

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 03 09:04:32 | 15144 Views

Daughter had sex with father to stop him from marrying fiancee

by June Mpofu | 2017 June 01 17:52:29 | 16348 Views

Man splits from wife who raped him as boy

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 31 11:53:24 | 18629 Views

Human head trial set to go ahead after delay

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 30 21:23:34 | 14965 Views

American girl, 11, forced to marry rapist

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 29 14:28:03 | 17023 Views

Fed up residents hold Mayor hostage

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 25 08:51:43 | 15786 Views

Homeless hero who pulled nails out of children's faces is given a home

by Prince Cox | 2017 May 24 20:11:55 | 16598 Views

Heartbroken wife dies after husband's mistress sent her indecent pictures

by Prince Cox | 2017 May 22 08:35:57 | 37104 Views

Father jailed after raping daughter for 20 years

by Hope Freedom | 2017 May 20 09:51:11 | 18520 Views

Driver miraculously unharmed after lorry completely crushes his BMW

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 20 09:59:37 | 14780 Views

Saddam Hussain arrested for pretending to be Osama Bin Laden

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 16 23:42:36 | 14315 Views

Student left with painful scars after tattoo removal goes wrong

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 15 20:45:37 | 18030 Views

Three people die of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 12 15:31:35 | 15149 Views

'Shoplifter' bleeds to death after falling on 'stolen' bottles

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 09 21:49:08 | 18259 Views

82 Chibok schoolgirls freed by Boko Haram

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 07 09:19:48 | 35802 Views

Woman arrested after biting love rival's privates

by June Mpofu | 2017 May 06 19:03:59 | 14506 Views